[VxW] vxworks vs lynxos 4

Chris Hann chann94501 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 2 15:53:24 PDT 2003

I worked for Wind from 1998 to 2002, I worked with vxWorks from 1989. I
have worked with LynxOS since 3/2003.

My main observation would be that the cycle time for our LynxOS project
is much greater than it was for any vxWorks project. In vxWorks if I
modified a driver then I'd make in the top level directory and boot my
target, a minute later my new software is working (well, at lest on the
machine and trying, we all make mistakes). When I rebuild this system my
main build environment is Win2k but I need to rebuild the LynxOS to
include the new drivers. We often modify structures that map to both and
have to rebuild everything. With ftping software and rebuilding in
several directories then ftping in the applications it takes an hour or
so to wind the handle on this system. If it had been done differently
then perhaps it could be quicker, but I miss the comparatively fast
reboots on vxWorks.

I miss the debugger and WindView too.

We have had issues with LynxOS that were solved with a huge patch too,
that was not as forthcoming as I would have expected from Wind. Wind
tends to air its dirty washing in public, you can browse patches and see
if any of them address your areas of concern.

LynxOS employs a number of former Wind people, they would know all about
things Wind has done wrong. I don't believe Wind has the same benefit.
Having said that I am not personally aware of projects that have failed
because of the choice of vxWorks, which doesn't mean there aren't any.
WinCE was certainly known for crashing a few companies who couldn't make
it work on their hardware.

The big downer for vxWorks used to be availability of the source, but if
what I heard recently is correct then the source is now very affordable.
Rebuilding the entire source on a Solaris box was just a case of going
to the top of the tree and typing (for example)

make CPU=PENTIUM4 TOOL=gnu

If you modify a bit of the o/s you only need to make in that directory.

We are having issues getting a coherent build and target between several
developers and their target systems.

I can't see any great advantage of LynxOS over Linux, the disadvantage
is that they have less that 1% of the developers and they don't make the
source readily available.

To be fair to LynxOS to rebuild the kernel on a target you do this:

cd /sys/lynx.os
touch CONFIG.TBL
make install

You may also have to make all in sys/devices.

Given my current issues; if we were in the market for an OS I'd be
looking forward to giving the WR sales folks a hell of a hard time on
price, and failing that I'd be looking at Linux or BSD (which has much
better licensing from a commercial perspective). If you aren't a good
negotiator you can end up getting a less than sweetheart deal on target
licenses from any commercial vendor.

Wind need to pull their finger out on the device driver front, but their
device drivers are relatively easy to write and there is a reasonable
course.

vxWorks isn't ideal, I have little use for Tornado in day to day use,
but they still suck less. Their support isn't what it once was, but then
I know my way round the source tree from a year in major account support
and four in services, so there aren't a lot of questions you can't
answer with the source.

Wind's editor sucks, I don't know why they even bother. Visual Slick
Edit is a lot better. VSE is also more capable than MS VDS which Lynx
interfaces to. My main complaint is that the cross referencing in VDS
depends on being able to compile the code, VSE will browse stuff that
won't compile. With vxWorks I'd edit in VSE if I had it or Emacs if I
didn't. Tornado can call out to other editors, but the link isn't great.
I didn't work with Wind's latest and greatest Tornado, so I don't know
if the latest IDE ever saw the light of day.

Summary... LynxOS wouldn't be top of my list.

I don't think I've said anything actionable, so I better stop now.

Chris
Speaking for myself alone, certainly not for my employer who may have
very good reasons for not agreeing with me at all :-)